For information on Oʻahu sites, call (808) 620-9043. For Hilo sites, call (808) 933-2933. For Kauaʻi sites, call (808) 320-9100.
Since 2005, more than 6,900 children have participated in Keiki Steps. Ninety-eight percent (98%) of students meet the Hawaiʻi State School Readiness Assessment (HSSRA) benchmarks for school readiness.
About the Program
Keiki Steps is a WINHEC accredited family child interactive preschool for children birth to age five. Our FREE parent participation program educates and empowers parents or caregivers to become their keiki’s first and best teacher. Families attend alongside keiki for a safe and fun first learning experience that is culturally enriching and age appropriate. Keiki Steps educators and families work in partnership to prepare students for school providing a firm foundation for success in education and life.
In a Keiki Steps preschool, qualified early childhood educators lead fun activities and promote exploration through hands-on, interactive learning, with activities including story time, sensory exploration, science and discovery, blocks, art, thinking games, puzzles, circle time, dramatic play, infant center, and outdoor exploration. Field trips one Friday a month extend learning beyond the classroom, and ʻOhana Nurturing events one Friday a month strengthen parent understanding of early childhood development.
Uniquely situated in 14 DOE schools on Oʻahu, Hawaiʻi Island, and Kauaʻi, Keiki Steps seeks to build positive family experiences on campuses at which keiki will be attending kindergarten. This provides families and keiki with a familiarity and comfort level at their future school campus and with school staff. Keiki Steps programming also provides parents with guidance and strategies for advocating for your child’s academic success in years to come. Classes runs from August through May, operating three hours daily from 8:30-11:30 am, Monday through Thursday. Parent or adult caregiver participation is required.
One of our goals is to provide Native Hawaiian children with a safe learning environment that is both culturally enriching and enjoyable. We also support opportunities that inspire growth and enhance the skills of early childhood education practitioners. Our programs provide educators with extensive training. Professional development is a top priority to ensure that our teachers are highly qualified to serve our precious children and families.
Early childhood programs help children prepare for success in school and in life.
Keiki Steps Provides Children with the Tools to Learn and Succeed
- Our curriculum is designed for both children and parents or caregivers.
- We facilitate the concept of “parents as the child’s first teacher.”
- We meet four times per week for three hours per day, and then have a field trip and ʻohana nurturing day two additional times per month.
- ʻOhana Nurturing seeks to strengthen the family’s understanding of early childhood development.
- We provide developmental screening tools and assessments through nationally recognized methods, including the ASQ, ASQ-SE, Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test (PPVT), and Ounce Scale Assessments.
- We have seen an average gain of eighteen percentage points on the PPVT in ten short months!